View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:41 am

← Back to the Calcudoku puzzle page

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 books stopped selling 

Posted on: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:25 pm

books stopped selling
Sales of my puzzle books were never spectacular (around 5 a month), but this has dropped to zero for the past two months [mellow]

I'm thinking the market (and Amazon) is more geared towards people who churn out tons of books, and thus swamp the search results
(I see this "Dr Khalid" guy for example, who has published hundreds of puzzle books during the past 3 years or so).

I spend a ton of time creating, selecting, fine-tuning puzzles for a book (at the moment still working on that book with extra large puzzles),
but it's a bit frustrating to see that high quality books (in my opinion) get zero visibility.

Ok rant over.. [blink]

Posted on: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:35 pm

Post Re: books stopped selling
pnm wrote:

... I spend a ton of time creating, selecting, fine-tuning puzzles for a book (at the moment still working on that book with extra large puzzles),
but it's a bit frustrating to see that high quality books (in my opinion) get zero visibility.

Ok rant over.. [blink]

But this is temporary, sooner or later, your effort will be really appreciated by the puzzlers and the market...

The great playwright Elmer Rice used to say that "as the talent of a writer grows... his public becomes more and more reduced".

Posted on: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:06 pm

pnm wrote:
Sales of my puzzle books were never spectacular (around 5 a month), but this has dropped to zero for the past two months [mellow]

I'm thinking the market (and Amazon) is more geared towards people who churn out tons of books, and thus swamp the search results
(I see this "Dr Khalid" guy for example, who has published hundreds of puzzle books during the past 3 years or so).

I spend a ton of time creating, selecting, fine-tuning puzzles for a book (at the moment still working on that book with extra large puzzles),

Ok rant over.. [blink]

Not wishing to state the obvious, but you have a number of dedicated followers who will buy any book you publish. Provided, that is, there are points at stake.

So I would expect that any new book you publish that contains puzzles worth points will attract a number of instant sales. Whether this will be sufficient to compensate you for the work involved in producing a new book is, of course, a different question.

Posted on: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:26 pm

paulv66 wrote:
So I would expect that any new book you publish that contains puzzles worth points will attract a number of instant sales. Whether this will be sufficient to compensate you for the work involved in producing a new book is, of course, a different question.

That's never an issue, really. Both the site and the books cost more than they bring in,
but it's fun to do, so I'm not complaining [lol]

It's just a bit frustrating to see the books sink into oblivion, and Amazon get swamped by low quality (as far as I can tell).

For the new book, it'll probably be released on a specific date (in about a month I think),
to try and get a "sales spike" from all the loyal fans out there [thumbup] , and then _maybe_ Amazon's
algorithms will pick it up.

Posted on: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:45 pm

Also: everything costs more these days, raise the subscription cost, probably relatively inelastic.

Posted on: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:19 pm

frederick wrote:
Also: everything costs more these days, raise the subscription cost, probably relatively inelastic.

US inflation since subscriptions started (May 2012 [blink] ) is about 36% [scared]

So basically subscribing has become better value for money year on year [lol]

Posted on: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:56 pm

I'm checking my various books on Amazon, some of the info on there is outdated.

For example, for one book the price I had specified was by now below the minimum price Amazon requires (!)
(I assume because of increased printing cost and such).

Updated the cover of the Holiday Puzzle Book a bit: https://www.amazon.com/Calcudoku-Holida ... 1511774460
(figured it should be cleared to people the book has number puzzles).

Maybe I'll update the "Calcudoku Advanced" books volumes I and II to have solutions,
just to make them more like every other puzzle book out there.

Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]